Frequently Asked Questions to Emergency Electricians
1. What can cause power outages?
Among the various situations that can cause power outages, the most common ones are: storms,earthquakes, animals, lighting, trees and branches falling and damaging electrical wiring, vehicles interfering with electrical wiring, as well as excavation digging and high power demand in the area.
2. Why do we lose power during a storm?
Electricity is switched off sometimes during thunderstorms to avoid danger of people getting shock. Also, if there are heavy winds, the live and neutral wires might touch and cause short circuit. In addition, sometimes, trees might fall on the lines and this may also cause disruption of power.
3. HOW DO I REPORT A POWER OUTAGE?
If the power outage is only in your home, contact Palmer Electric. However, if the power goes out in your neighborhood, you should contact your local electrical company. For a list of Florida’s electrical company, visit the Public Service Commission’s page.
4. How long does a blackout last?
Power outages may last from a few minutes to a few weeks depending on the nature of the blackout and the configuration of the electrical network.
5. Why does power go out in one room?
The most likely cause is a tripped breaker.However, we recommend contacting the licensed electricians at Palmer Electric to inspect your electrical panel.
6. How do I restore the power in my house?
Check your electrical panel cautiously and call Palmer electric
7.How do I reset my breaker box?
- Find the breaker panel in your home – it may be in your garage – and turn off every breaker, one by one.
- Next, reset your main breaker. If your main breaker is not in your breaker panel, it will be outside near your electric meter. Do not touch the meter.
- Open the panel beside the meter. Reset the main breaker by turning the switch off and on two times. Leave the switch in the on position.
- Return to the breaker panel inside your home and turn each breaker back to the on position, one by one. In many cases, power should be restored.
- If the steps described above did not restore the power in your home, contact Palmer Electric
8. How can we prevent power outages?
We recommend you take the following steps to prevent a power outage:
- Keep your trees trimmed
- Check and report wildlife to prevent equipment damage
- Purchase a generator
- Your local energy provider should provide regular inspection and maintenance of power lines