Hurricane Ian was the latest destructive hurricane to hit Florida. Besides the grave consequences of floods, destruction, and death, Hurricane Ian affected power lines and caused a power outage that lasted several days. Winds, snow, a playful squirrel, or a fallen tree might also affect your power lines and cause a power outage. Investing in a home backup generator is the safest and most efficient way to keep your lights and appliances running in case of a power outage. Not to mention, it will save you money in the long run!
Home Generator Installation
There are several things you should do to prepare for a power outage:
– Stock up on water and non-perishable food for three days. Keep your fridge and freezer closed and discard perishable food that’s been without refrigeration for more than 4 hours.
– Turn off or disconnect your appliances and electronics to avoid damage from surges and spikes when electrical power comes back. Be sure to also turn off your AC when the power goes out.
– Have backup power sources such as batteries, power banks, and portable chargers.
– Medication that needs to be refrigerated needs to be a priority. Make sure you have this taken care of.
– Have an emergency kit and a flashlight for each member of the household. Also make sure your vehicles are fully fueled.
– Keep a battery-operated radio with you to stay informed so you don’t rely solely on your cellphone and Wi-Fi networks.
Are generators safe?
Home backup generators can be fueled by natural gas, regular gas, diesel, or liquid propane. Natural gas generators will be connected to your provider whilst other fuel generators will run if you supply their tank with fuel.
Due to the emission of carbon monoxide, a poisonous and lethal gas, power generators should be installed outside, at least 20 feet away from your house. Never use them inside your house, not even in your garage with the door open! Do not turn it on or operate it in the rain, at least have it enclosed or covered. If you need to do this, be sure to cover it with adequate ventilation.
How can I cook indoors without electricity?
Do not use a camping stove indoors, it emits carbon monoxide. There are several ways you can cook indoors in case of a power outage.
Use your kitchen gas stove, it’s safe and reliable; remember to have spare matches or a lighter. Try using canned heat, usually used by catering services. These alcohol-filled cans have a burning time of more than two hours. Light your fireplace and get creative using skewers, skillets, aluminum foil, and tongs to cook your food. A wood-burning stove will not only let you cook indoors but will also keep your house warm.
Can you take a hot shower with no power?
Tankless electric heaters won’t be able to deliver you hot water. If you have a tank water heater, you can take a hot shower and should do it before the water cools down. Take into consideration if you won’t need the hot water for anything else later.
Generac Generator Installation
If you are looking for reliable electricians for the safe, affordable installation of your home Generac generator, you can count on Palmer Electric, the #1 Generator Installation Company in the Central Florida area. Our home generator installation team will assess your home’s needs and will install a home backup generator before the power goes out in a storm. We will provide the most cost-effective solution for you. Call now 407-646-8700 or fill out a contact form to find the best home backup generator just for you.