Florida is facing a dangerous heat wave that is breaking records and posing health risks. The heat index, which measures how hot it feels, has reached up to 110 degrees in some areas. This level of heat and humidity can cause dehydration, overheating, heat exhaustion, and heatstroke.
Ceiling Fan Installation
Orlando, a popular tourist destination, is one of the hottest spots in Florida. The city has had its warmest year on record so far, with an average temperature of 74.2 degrees. Five of its 10 warmest years have occurred since 2015. Central Florida has experienced a year-long heat buildup, with many places having their hottest first six months on record.
The heat wave is caused by a high-pressure system that prevents cooler air from moving in and traps hot and humid air over the region. This pattern is unlikely to change soon, and it may even spread to other parts of the country.
How to Keep Yourself Cool
The first step to staying cool in a heat wave is to avoid exposure to the sun and the heat as much as possible. Here are some tips to follow:
- Stay indoors during the hottest hours of the day, usually between 11 am and 3 pm.
- If you have to go outside, seek shade, wear sunscreen, a hat, and light-colored clothing.
- Avoid strenuous activities that can raise your body temperature and make you sweat more.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids, but avoid alcohol, caffeine, and hot drinks that can dehydrate you.
- Eat cold food and snacks, such as salads, fruits, yogurt, ice cream, etc.
- Take cool showers or baths, or use cool water or ice packs to lower your skin temperature.
- Use fans, towels, sponges, or foot baths to create a cooling breeze or sensation.
How to Keep Your House Cool
The second step to staying cool in a heat wave is to make sure your living space is comfortable and efficient. Here are some tips to follow:
- Ensure your HVAC system is functioning properly, schedule a professional inspection and maintenance. They can clean the filters, repair any damages, and replace any necessary parts, guaranteeing optimal performance and efficiency.
- Close your windows during the day and open them at night when the temperature drops. You can also cover your windows with reflective materials such as kitchen foil or blinds to block the sun’s rays.
- Insulate your home properly to prevent the cool air from escaping and the hot air from entering.
- Use fans and ventilation to circulate the air and remove the hot air from the inside. Install ceiling fans in your rooms to create a cooling effect and save energy. Ceiling fans can lower the perceived temperature by creating a wind chill effect on your body. They can also help distribute the cool air from your air conditioner more evenly throughout your house.
Ceiling fan cooling tips
- Set fan to counterclockwise rotation for a downdraft that circulates cool air from AC.
- Position fan centrally for even air distribution in the room.
- Keep blades clean for optimal airflow.
- Turn off fan when leaving to save energy.
How to Recognize and Prevent Heat-Related Illnesses
The third step to staying cool in a heat wave is to be aware of the signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses and how to prevent them. Here are some tips to follow:
Is a condition that occurs when your body overheats due to exposure to high temperatures and humidity. It can cause symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, nausea, headache, muscle cramps, rapid heartbeat, etc. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should move to a cool place, drink water or sports drinks, loosen your clothing, and apply cool water or ice packs to your skin. If your symptoms do not improve within an hour or worsen, you should seek medical attention.
Is a more severe condition that occurs when your body temperature rises above 104 degrees due to exposure to high temperatures and humidity. It can cause symptoms such as confusion, agitation, slurred speech, seizures, coma, etc. It is a medical emergency that requires immediate attention. If you suspect someone has a heatstroke, you should call 911 and move them to a cool place. You should also remove their clothing and apply cool water or ice packs to their skin until help arrives.
Ceiling Fan Installation Company
We want you to stay cool and safe during this heat wave. Experience the ultimate comfort and beat the heat this summer with Palmer Electric, your trusted partner for all your electrical needs in Orlando and Central Florida. With over 70 years of expertise in the industry, we can help you choose the best ceiling fan for your space and install it safely and efficiently. Our affordable services ensure efficient airflow and optimal comfort, while our expert technicians guarantee a safe and efficient installation process. Contact us online or call us at 407-646-8700 to schedule your ceiling fan installation and stay cool all summer long.